Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

It's gettig real

 

  For the last couple months, every Saturday except for three, we have gone to DHR for our foster parent classes. They are "GPS" classes, meaning Group Preparation Selection. These classes last about 10 weeks and cover everything from how to license your home to the behaviors you may encounter with the foster child.
   I wrote in my last post it could be about 5 weeks before we were licensed. I was wrong. This past Saturday, the 2nd, I went to meeting six. (Kyle had to work.) I was hoping our class would be able to shorten the four weeks left by meeting a couple times a week so we could be finished by Thanksgiving. Well when I mentioned this we are all a tad surprised because we found out we had two left. 
   At the meeting I was at we were doing lesson 6 and 7. Next Saturday we will complete 8 and 10. Meeting 9 will be on a week night and will be a "live panel." It will have a judge, a foster child's attorney, a foster parent, and a couple more people. Then, probably that same week, we will have our last home inspection and will be licensed for children. Not only will we be licensed, we will probably also take a child in our home because the desperate need.

   Oh my gosh. 10 weeks ago I thought it was so far away and now we are just 2-3 weeks away from becoming foster parents. I'm sure this isn't the same feeling a mom has days before she births her own child but there are two feelings we have in common.  Excitement and a tad bit of fear.
One major difference is this child isn't mine. Another difference is I haven't spent 9 months getting to know this child and preparing for them. I've spent a few weeks and I won't know anything about the child until they call and pretty much tell me they are on their way. It's a tad frightening.
We had been praying about this journey for almost a year before we surrendered and now it's so close. 
    There have been many tears thorough this process but there has also been a peace that passes all understanding. I'm really thankful for God being so patient with us as we pleaded for direction for what He wanted us to do. I'm also thankful God showed us His plan in His time. I'm also excited about His plan. I know there will be ups and downs but I'm excited to see how God will use this in our lives and maybe show the child His love through us.    
   Please pray for us as we cross your mind but most importantly pray for the child we are about to receive. Pray with us that the adjustment will be easy and he will be accepting of us.
-Makayla

No comments:

Post a Comment